Reorganize drawing and other files so that all redundant, outdated drawings and other files are eliminated. Automatically reorganize folder structures, rename files, convert files to different formats and more.
For most engineering departments in large facilities, attempting to manage engineering drawings and documents in Windows network or personal folders is a huge challenge. In most cases, using Windows folders to manage critical files has resulted in numerous problems which can pose a risk to operations including:
- Multiple copies of the same file exist in various locations on server and personal drives
- Outdated revisions of files are available for inadvertent use by internal and/or external personnel
- Locating current and accurate drawing and other files can be extremely time consuming resulting in lost employee time and increased production downtime
Hagerman Cleanup Connection software enables you to reorganize drawing and other files so that all redundant, outdated drawings and other files are eliminated. In addition, based on customer requirements, Cleanup Connection can automate other functions such as automatically reorganizing folder structures, renaming files, converting files to different formats and more.
Once files have been cleaned up and organized, they can then be:
- Better managed in Windows folders (with improved security controls in place in order to prevent future file duplications and inconsistencies), or
- Imported into and managed in advanced engineering/document management solutions such as Autodesk Vault, BlueCielo Meridian or Synergis Adept
Cleanup Connection software for scanning and cleanup of engineering and other file data consists of two major components:
- Configurable software to scan your network and end-user PC files and folders, and log the results to a database
- Software to perform the automated cleanup of the scanned results, along with custom defined goals and processing rules
Some Cleanup Connection users have decreased their total file counts by up to 80%. The result is that customer staff can find and locate needed files much more quickly and eliminate the risk of working with obsolete information.
File Scanning Features
Cleanup Connection’s file and folder scanning application allows users to select and configure common engineering filetypes to scan for including AutoCAD DWG, Microstation DGN, Inventor, SolidWorks, scanned drawing/file formats (PDF, TIF, JPG, etc.) or any other desired filetype.
Users can also select which drives, folders and sub-folders they would like to have scanned. Files can also be selected for scanning based on other parameters such as filename prefix, suffix or other parameter.
When launched, Cleanup Connection’s scanning application will automatically log information on all files located in the scan to a central SQL database including information on each file as follows:
- Computer/drive and folder path location
- Date and time saved
- Created By
- Saved by
Based on the combination of the filename and filesize parameters, files can automatically be flagged as duplicates.
Automated Cleanup Features
Based on the data resulting from the file scan, custom parameters and desired results, Cleanup Connection can then automatically do some or all of the following advanced features. (Based on customer needs and requirements, additional file processing and cleanup options are available.)
- Flag files as either being current revisions or old revisions (based on filenames and date/time fields)
- Delete all duplicate or outdated files, or
- Move/copy all current and/or unique files to a new folder location/hierarchy
- Perform the move/copy based on custom properties previously derived from the current file names and folders
- Add a filename suffix such as “-OBS” to denote older, obsolete versions of files
- Automatically convert all TIF or JPG files to PDF format
- Merge all PDF files with the same name to a single PDF with the pages arranged in descending date order based on the date/time field of the original PDF’s in order to reduce file count and approximate an accurate revision history without losing any information or users needing to find, open and review multiple PDF files
- Flag PDF or other published versions of CAD files as either current or out of date based on the filename and date/time fields for each file
- Sort files of the same name into revision order based on date/time fields
- Copy/move old revisions of files to new/separate folder locations in order to separate them from the current revisions
- Fill in additional custom properties in the database for each file such as Area, Vendor, Discipline, Revision, Sheet, Equipment Type, Description, etc. based on rules involving current file names and/or folder locations. (If files are then imported into a system such as Vault, Meridian or Adept, these values can then be used as search properties in those systems.)
- Automatically rename files to current standards based on a combination of the desired customer standard and rules, existing filenames, other properties for each file, etc.
- Perform search and replace operations on portions of filenames in order to promote standardization and improved searching. For instance, the text string “Gen Arrange” could be replaced with “GA” in all filenames. Customers will need to provide Hagerman & Company with all search and replace text strings to be processed.
With family at the heart of our company, you can trust us to make your projects more efficient, productive and, most of all, profitable.